Sunday, January 4, 2009

Luxor's Tresors

Tom Sailing in Aswan

Sunset in Aswan

Christmas Dinner at the Fairmont

Over the last three days we've been taken into Egypt's glorious past visiting The Luxor Temple, The Karnak Temple, The Valley of the Kings, Hatchepsut's Temple, The Valley of the Queens and The Colossus of Memnon. Not only were we in awe of the creations of the Ancient Egyptians, we were also shocked by the number of tourists. Minus the Valley of the Queens, which we visited later in the afternoon yesterday, all of the sites were packed. I will refrain from commenting on what some of theses people were wearing, all I will say is there were a few pairs of high heels knocking around in the dirt.

We decided to book a to book a tour to check out the West Bank of Luxor, just so as to circumvent possible problems with tickets, taxi and missing out on the good stuff. It went alright despite having to wait in the mini bus for about an hour before departing due a number of problems and mixed messages from the company arranging the tour. It was all worth it in the end because the tombs in the Valley of the Kings and Queens were very impressive. Some looked as though they were painted over a few years ago, and not 6000 or so. No pictures of the insides due to preservation regulations.

The Luxor Temple, which we visited a few days ago was also very interesting seeing as the base structure, built during the Old Kingdom of the Pharaohs was added onto over the ages. Not only are there hieroglyphs and Ancient Egyptian structures, but also Roman add-ons and a Mosque right smack in the centre. Walking though was a true journey through time.

After almost two weeks of taking in what remains of ancient Egypt we are off to discover the Red Sea Coast. First to Hurghada, which I am sure I will have some comment to make as I hear it is destructive tourism at its worst, and then to the Sinai.


No real comment to make about Egyptian food. Other then a few great restaurant (Felfela) it is alright, but I am sure as I have read it is better when cooked by an Egyptian Mama. Especially in package tour heaven there is a lot of bland Euro food that is not what I am looking for at all. We've found a café in town run by an American guy (the only reason we know this is because he sits around all day in the place) which is great. Mostly sandwiches, pasta, salads etc. I know it will be the same on the Sinai, so I have to say I am now looking forward to February and Thailand.


We're just about to take on the Souk in order to possibly purchase a hookah, so wish us luck!


3 comments:

mommybird said...

I didn't know you guys were going to Thailand? I am there in March on a school trip again, like I did for Costa Rica! How long are you guys planning on being there for?

Hope all is well. Talk soon! xo

Mommy said...

Tom looks very sad in the Christmas photo. Were you sad?

Katie Feenan said...

We'll be in Thailand for a month or so to begin with. Mostly in Phuket I believe. Then Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia and back to Thailand. Let me know your itinerary and we'll see if we can meet up.

Mom, we were both sad. We knew our moms were missing us and we missed them :(