Saturday, December 27, 2008

Christmas in Suburban Cairo

After three nights and four days of relaxation, great food, working out at the gym and shopping, Tom and I are prepairing to board a overnight train South to the base of the Nile at Aswan.

We booked into the Fairmont Towers Hotel, in the affluent Cairo suburb of Heliopolis, on Christmas Eve in order to take our minds off of being so far away from home. From mince pies, to Guinness, to Tom's favorite Monte Cristo cigars, and a buffet turkey dinner, this hotel had everything.

We even ventured out to the City Stars Mall yesterday. Costing $800 Million to build it includes two hotels, numerous restaurants and 250 shops. We even enjoyed a Second Cup coffee! Don't know how it came to be in Egypt, but the barristas were even wearing polos with the Egyptian and Canadian Flags. It was nice to see a bit of home on the other side of the world.

I think I am going to have to drag Tom out of the hotel tonight (he is now calling it home) because we did spend the crazy $120 US (all tickets are sold in US dollars, strange I know) to book this 12 hour train ride.

Hope everyone had a lovely Christmas and that no one was stuck in an airport at any time!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

A Belated Merry Christmas. I wish I was there as I've been snowed in for 2 weeks! I love your Egypt picts. and narrative. Where to next? xoxoA. Kathy

Katie Feenan said...

Happy Holidays to you as well. I can't believe the snow out there. My mom sent us some pictures last week of them skiing around their house. We're in Aswan right now and heading to Luxor for New Years and then taking in all of the sights. Hopw you are doing well :) xo Katie and Tom

Mommy said...

I'm glad you had a "home" to go to for Christmas. With what is going on in Gaza, I think Thailand sounds like a good place to make your next home. Keep your eye out for cool fabric!